I made these DIY instagram magnets just before Christmas as I was giving them as gifts to various family members, so I thought I’d document the process and show you how easy it is!
What You’ll Need For Your DIY Instagram Magnets
- Something for the base – I bought these 2″ square wooden cut-outs from Etsy
- Some photos – I used Photoshop to put 32 2″ photos on a 12×8″ print (which was about £3 or something)
- A guillotine or craft knife and ruler to cut them out (or some scissors and a steady hand!)
- Some double sided tape, or photo stickers like these from Amazon
- Some Epoxy Resin (I bought this one from Amazon)
- A plastic pot to mix the resin in (I used the bottom of a milk bottle), a stirrer (I used a plastic knife) and a straw
- Some magnets – I bought a set from The Range which had sticky strips in. Had I been more organised I would have bought this from Amazon though as my Range ones weren’t very strong
So, firstly cut out all your photos.
Then try your best to ignore your cat who is vying for your attention!
Lay your wooden squares out with something to raise them from the table/thing you’re using to work on. I used little squares of cardboard, which were just about adequate. If you don’t do this step, the resin will pour over the sides of the magnets, onto the table/base and once set you won’t be able to get them off!
Stick your photos down. I only used one sticker in the middle of each picture, but if I did this again I’d put one on each corner, as some of these lifted in the end slightly.
Now mix up your resin. You just pour equal parts from the two bottles into your container, then stir like a demon. It says to stir for 5 minutes or something, but it depends how much you’re making. A small amount like this only needs a good 30sec stir really. It’ll bubble up, but that’s fine.
Then pour a small amount onto your pictures. It’ll naturally start to spread, which is good. Take your stirrer/spreader and spread the resin evenly over the picture, making sure it dribbles down the edges to make a complete seal around all four sides
Then get your straw and gently blow on the resin. This removes any little air bubbles. You can also use a blow torch to do this, which would be awesome fun, but a straw does just a good a job. You can just blow on it without a straw, but it takes a bit more effort.
Then leave to dry for 24hrs. Once it’s done it’ll set like smooth glass.
Attach your magnet strips, and put a pretty bow around them.
And there we have it – fabulous DIY Instagram magnets. You can of course use any photos, but Instagram ones are great as they’re already square, and you can just copy them straight from people’s Instagram feeds.
They were really good fun to make and made such excellent presents. The family members lucky enough to receive these all loved them!!
Did you make any similar DIY Christmas presents? Let me know in the comments below!